Monday, March 17, 2008

Music

Music is my passion. The closest philosopher i could think of with a penchant for music is Nietzsche and his taste for Wagner. Though they did not really end in good terms, but thats just Nietzsche being himself. I on the other hand, am amazed by how cultivated my ear for music have been over time.

I was always a sucker for romantic ballads, and the glam rock of the 80's just fueled my desire and coupled by a handful of teen-age angst, i was always either one of two things whenever i listened to RTZ, La Guns, Poison, Bon Jovi and the like -- Thought i was on top of the world or the world's biggest loser. The 80's new wave also made me got hooked to Flesh for Lulu, OMD, Till Tuesday, The Motels, Tears for Fears and DuranDuran tracks.. And then the 90's came and ushered artists like Wilson Philips, Amy Grant's HATS album was a huge favorite, and Lighter Shade of Brown's Sunday Afternoon became my official hip/trip song. And for some reason i felt untouchable. Towards the later part of the 90's i crossedover to Jazz and a little RnB. I pretty much settled for the music of Benoit, Tom Scott, Sergio Mendez, Spyro Gyra. And through the years i would listen to my all time favorites like U2, Sting, Everything But the Girl, Hall & Oats, Toto, and Mike Francis.

Today, though, its rare if i can even chance on their music. I no longer listen to the radio, and though i have all the CD's of the musicians mentioned above, i just dont go out of my way to listen to them. Im not anymore after the thrill i get once i listen to Climie Fisher's Rise to the Occassion or the goosebupms i have over 38 Special's Second Chance...these songs have had their tenure in my life and they will always be remembered. And i will always look back to them with fondness and maybe once in a while go back to them for reminiscence of who i was. But not right now.

For now i am more attuned to songs of worship. Never in a million years did i think i would get stuck listening to songs of praise. But i am and everyday for almost two years now, i play the songs of Matt Redman, Don Moen, Hilsong, Mercy Me, Katinas, Bob Fitts, Martin J. Nystrom, Chris Rice, Casting Crowns, and its only now that i have felt such peace. And my attitude when i listen to music is not anymore like i want to get high, its a rest for my soul, a refuge from the world, a moment of prayer.

No comments: